How Parents Can Help
We feel parental involvement is extremely important. Preparing your child for the first visit by reading recommended books, playing pretend dentist and being positive about the dental experience is very helpful.
At the end of each appointment, parents are encouraged to reward their child with words of praise for a job well done.
We enjoy establishing a trusting friendship with each child and their parents. We teach parents that it is fun to converse with their child using our gentle dental terminology.
Nutritional counseling is provided to parents that will assist them with packing lunches and snacks for school. We also help parents figure out what may be the cause of cavities for their child and give them many ideas for preventing dental decay.
- Barney Goes to the Dentist by Linda Cress Dowdy
- Just Going to the Dentist by Mercer Mayer
- The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist by Stan & Jan Berenstain
GENTLE DENTAL TERMINOLOGY
- We’re Going to Count Your Teeth – Examination
- Tooth Counter – Explorer
- Pictures of Your Teeth – X-Rays
- Bubbles for Your Teeth – Fluoride
- Tooth Paint – Sealant
- Straw – Suction
- Wiggle Tooth – Pull Tooth/Extraction
- Jelly – Topical Anesthetic
- Sleepy Juice – Novocain
- Pillow – Cotton
- Tooth Bug – Cavity
- We’re Going to Brush the Bug Off Your Tooth – Drilling
- Filling up the House the Bug Left on Your Tooth – Filling
- Mr. Bumpy – Slow Speed Drill
- Tooth Smoother or Electric Toothbrush – High Speed Drill
- Silver Star – Amalgam Filling
- White Star – Composite Filling
- Protection Hat for Your Tooth – Crown